Sunday, December 12, 2010

7 Week Ultrasound

The top U/S picture is of our babys heart! Isn't that amazing! On the left is how they measured 172 BPM and on the right is the heart, where the highlighted dot is!
This 2nd U/S picture is the best one they took -- on the right, that's the head, and on the left is the body. The baby measured 1.47 cm! Wow!

Joe and I had our first ultrasound when I was 7 weeks, 5 days pregnant. It was amazing! Even though the technican was rude and and the whole appointment took 3 minutes...Those three minutes of seeing a tiny blob was truely incredible! If you stare at one of them long enough, you can really see distinct human features, even when at first glance, it does just look like a blob.

At 7.5 weeks, they didn't want to use a stronger ultrasound to hear the heartbeat, but they could see it. Isn't that amazing, the technology and medical advancements? So, they were able to determine the heartbeat was 172 bpm (beats per minute). A very strong and healthy heart! This was a huge relief for Joe and I. Even though they say you're not really out of danger until you finish the first 12 weeks/1st trimester; once you hear a strong heartbeat, your chances of miscarriage go down sometimes up to 95%! We knew we still had a little bit of time to go, but we were confident in our healthy baby!

A few days later, I had my regular OB appointment. At this appointment, my doctor had a chance to look over my ultrasound pictures and my blood tests from my first appointment. Everything looked perfect they reported! Both mommy and baby were extremely healthy and were measuring right on track! They offered instead of coming back in the normal 4 weeks, that I go back in 6 weeks instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment